SUMMARY.--Severity Threatened to All Who Do Not Repent.
He Will Display the Apostolic Power.
Exhorted to Self-Examination; and to Reformation Before He Comes.
1-4. This is the third time I am coming. See notes on
In the mouth of two or three witnesses. Every case of disorderly
conduct will be taken cognizance of, but the trials will be strictly
legal. Two or three witnesses will establish a charge.
2. I have said beforehand, etc. The Revision makes the meaning
plain. As he told them, when there the second time, so now he writes
that when he comes again he will not spare offenders.
3. Since ye seek a proof, etc. Since some denied his
apostleship, he would give a proof of the might of Christ through
4. For though he was crucified through weakness. Christ
submitted himself unto death, voluntarily choosing the weakness of
mortality. He "emptied himself"
(Phil. 2:7, 8).
But by the power of God he was raised from death to life. So it shall
be with us. His life is reproduced in us. Those who suffer and die
with him shall live with him through the Divine power. 
5-9. Examine yourselves. Let there be self-examination. See
whether you are in Christ.
Know ye not, etc. Christ must dwell in them unless they are
reprobate. If Christ is in them it will be seen in the power of a
6. I trust ye shall know, etc. Christ is in those who are not
reprobates, but the power of Christ
that he will display when he comes, will show that he is not reprobate.
7. Now I pray, etc. If they should do evil, Paul's display of
power would show that he was not a reprobate
but he prays that their freedom from evil may leave him without that
show that he desires only to promote the truth.
10. Therefore I write these things, etc. He writes in order that
he may not have to use sharpness when he comes, or the
power which God has given for upbuilding, not for
11-14. Finally, brethren, farewell. This verse contains a
12. Salute one another, etc. See notes on
1 Cor. 16:20.
14. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, etc. This verse contains
the apostolic benediction. Observe the three blessings pronounced,
grace, love, communion; and the three sources invoked, the Father, the
Son, and the Holy Spirit.