SUMMARY.--The Mission of John the Baptist.
His Preaching in the Wilderness.
His Baptism in the Jordan.
The Baptism of Jesus and the Anointing.
Christ's Ministry in Galilee Begun.
The Call of Four Apostles.
An Unclean Spirit Cast Out.
The Increased Fame of Jesus.
Peter's Wife's Mother.
Preaching Throughout Galilee.
Healing the Leper.
1. The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is a sort
of title. The whole history of Jesus is an unfolding of the gospel.
Gospel. Good news.
Jesus. The personal name given by the angel
Christ. The official title of the Lord. It means the anointed.
Kings and priests were anointed in Israel, and Jesus, "the Lord's
is our Priest and King. They were anointed with oil; Jesus with the
4. John did baptize in the wilderness. Of Judea. See note on
for account of the wilderness and John the Baptist.
And preached the baptism of repentance. He preached, as well as
baptized. Only those who repented were fit subjects of baptism. Hence
it was called the "baptism of repentance." Repentance signifies, not
only sorrow for sin, but the resolve to sin no more.
For remission of sins. This indicates the object of repentance
and baptism. Those who repented and were baptized were pardoned. Both
were needful to remission. Compare
6. John was clothed with camel's hair. See note on
7, 8. There cometh one after me. See note on
Shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost. See note on
9. In those days. When John had been preaching and baptizing
about six months. For the account of the baptism of Jesus see
10. Coming up straightway out of the water. The Greek
preposition translated "out of" is ek, which means out from
within. This could only be true of immersion. Thus all great and
candid Pedo-baptist scholars concede that Christ was baptized.
14. Now after John was put into prison. Mark proceeds to the
account of the Savior's public ministry in Galilee. Between Christ's
baptism and this occurred the events narrated in
John, chapters 2, 3 and 4.
For notes on this ministry see
16. He saw Simon. For notes on the call of the four apostles see
21. They went into Capernaum. For account of Capernaum
see note on
Entered into the synagogue. For description of a Jewish
synagogue see note on
22. They were astonished at his doctrine. See note on
Scribes. For account of scribes see notes on
23. A man with an unclean spirit. See note on
The New Testament plainly teaches that demoniac possession was a real
and actual possession of the soul by a fallen spirit.
24. What have we to do with thee? A common Jewish way of saying,
"Do not trouble us."
Art thou come to destroy us? An admission that Christ came to
destroy the devil and his works.
I know thee. The demon made a better confession that most of the
26. He came out of him. At the command. The whole account shows
that there was a real possession by an evil spirit.
27. They were all amazed. Those in the synagogue.
28-34. His fame spread abroad. For notes on the increasing fame of
for notes on the healing of Peter's wife's mother, see
38. Let us go into the next towns. The villages of Galilee.
39. Throughout all Galilee. This was the first missionary
circuit of Galilee. Galilee was then densely peopled. Josephus says it
contained 240 towns and villages.
40. There came a leper. See notes on
This miracle occurred after the Sermon on the Mount. Leprosy, that
terrible scourge of the East, is unknown in our times, or even in the
44. Shew thyself to the priest. At Jerusalem.
Those things which Moses commanded. See
and note on
45. Came to him from every quarter. Not only to see and hear,
but to be healed.