Ps 5:1-12. Upon Nehiloth--flutes or wind instruments. The writer begs to be heard, on the ground of God's regard for His covenant-people and true worshippers as contrasted with His holy hatred to the wicked. He prays for divine guidance, on account of his watchful, malignant, and deceitful enemies; and for their destruction as being also God's enemies. At the same time he expresses his confidence that God will extend aid to His people.
1. meditation--moanings of that half-uttered form to which deep feeling gives rise--groanings, as in Ro 8:26,27.
2. Hearken--incline the ear (Ps 10:17; compare Ps 61:2)--give close attention.
my cry--that is, for help (Ps 61:2 Jer 8:19).
my King--thus by covenant relation interested in my cause.
3. direct--literally, "set in order," as the showbread was placed or set in order (Ex 40:23).
4. For, &c.--God only regards sincere worshippers.
evil--or, "the evil man."
dwell--lodge, remain under protection.
5. foolish--vainglorious and insolent.
iniquity--especially such as denotes a negation, or defect, that is, of moral principle.
6. leasing--a lie.
the bloody . . . man--literally, "man of blood"--murderer.
7. But--as in Ps 2:6, literally, "and."
house--(1Ch 9:23), the tabernacle.
temple--literally, "palace," applied to God's residence, the Holy of Holies (1Sa 3:3 2Sa 22:7); the inner part of the tabernacle.
toward--not in; the high priest alone was allowed to enter.
8. enemies--literally, "watchers" (Ps 27:11), hence special need of guidance.
in thy righteousness--an attribute implying faithfulness in promises as well as threatenings.
make thy way straight--that is, make the way of providence plain.
9. The wicked are not reliable because by nature they are full of wickedness, or literally, "wickednesses," of every kind (Ro 8:7).
sepulchre--a dwelling-place of corruption, emitting moral putridness.
flatter--or, "make smooth."
their tongue--speaks deceitfully.
10. Destroy--or, "condemn" them to destruction as guilty.
11. defendest--(compare Margin).
love thy name--Thy manifested perfections (Ps 9:10).
12. with favour--or, "acceptance," alluding to the favor shown to an acceptable offering and worshipper (Le 7:18,19:7).
shield--(compare Ps 3:3).
Additional information on ChristiansUnite.com is available on the Internet at http://www.christiansunite.com/
Copyright © 2006 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.