Ps 21:1-13. The pious are led the Psalmist to God's favor to the king in the already conferred and in prospective victories. The doxology added may relate to both Psalms; the preceding of petition, chiefly this of thanksgiving, ascribing honor to God for His display of grace and power to His Church in all ages, not only under David, but also under his last greatest successor, "the King of the Jews."
1. thy strength . . . thy salvation--as supplied by Thee.
2. The sentiment affirmed in the first clause is reaffirmed by the negation of its opposite in the second.
3. preventest--literally, "to meet here in good sense," or "friendship" (Ps 59:10; compare opposite, Ps 17:13).
blessings of goodness--which confer happiness.
crown of pure gold--a figure for the highest royal prosperity.
4-6. (Compare 2Sa 7:13-16). The glory and blessedness of the king as head of his line, including Christ, as well as in being God's specially selected servant, exceeded that of all others.
6. made him most blessed--or set him "to be blessings," as Abraham (Ge 12:2).
with thy countenance--by sight of thee (Ps 16:11), or by Thy favor expressed by the light of Thy countenance (Nu 6:25), or both.
7. The mediate cause is the king's faith, the efficient, God's mercy.
8. The address is now made to the king.
hand--denotes power, and
right hand--a more active and efficient degree of its exercise.
find out--reach, lay hold of, indicating success in pursuit of his enemies.
9. The king is only God's agent.
anger--literally, "face," as appearing against them.
as a fiery oven--as in it.
10. fruit--children (Ps 37:25 Ho 9:16).
11. This terrible overthrow, reaching to posterity, is due to their crimes (Ex 20:5,6).
12. turn their back--literally, "place them [as to the] shoulder."
against the face of them--The shooting against their faces would cause them to turn their backs in flight.
13. The glory of all is ascribable to God alone.
Additional information on ChristiansUnite.com is available on the Internet at http://www.christiansunite.com/
Copyright © 2006 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.